Sometimes I get a little sad by the fact that many of my friends and cousins couldn’t be bothered to cook meals for themselves and their families. I have heard all things from not having time after office to I don’t know how to cook or even that cooking is a waste of time and that they had rather spend that time with family!
My strongest belief when it comes to cooking is that when cooked with love, a simple dish will taste out of this world. Everyday cooking need not be complicated. The beauty of home cooked food is its simplicity. Like this simple aaloo palak sabzi. Just 10 mins and five simple steps for home made heaven on your plate.
Aaloo Palak (Sautéed Spinach with potatoes)
Preparation Time: 5 mins| Cooking Time: 10 mins| Serves 2
1 bunch spinach/ palak, roughly chopped
2 medium sized potatoes, chopped into cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
2 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
* Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
* Add asafoetida and cumin seeds to hot oil.
* When they start sputtering, add ginger and potatoes. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
* Add onions, mix well and cook for another couple of minutes.
* Add all the spices and mix well. Add the chopped spinach and cook till the spinach starts to wilt and the potatoes are soft.
* Serve hot with chapatis