Summer season is fast approaching. This soup recipe will help you beat the heat and also keep you refreshed. Alternatively, you can have it hot, by serving it with a swirl of cream instead of yogurt.
2 tbsp butter, 1 onion – roughly chopped, 1 tbsp curry powder (MDH)
4 cups vegetable stock, given below
2 apples – peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
11/2 tbsp mango chutney, 3 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
11/2 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste, 100 gm (1/2 cup) plain yogurt
6 cups water, 1 tsp pepper corns (saboot kali mirch), 2 bay leaves
1 carrot – roughly chopped, 11/2 cups roughly chopped cabbage, 1 onion – chopped
* For the stock, boil all ingredients of the stock together. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to get about 4 cups of stock. Strain and discard vegetables and spices.
* Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the curry powder
& cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Add 4 cups stock. If stock is less add enough water to make upto 4 cups. Add chopped apples & bring to a boil, stirring.
* Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the apples are tender.
* Puree apples with mango chutney and lemon juice in a mixer until very smooth.
* Add chopped mint, salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a swirl of cream. If you like it cold, cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Whisk in the yogurt, then taste for seasoning. If the soup is too thick, add a little milk.